A handsome period house with additional accommodation, lying in a peaceful secluded position surrounded by its own land. About 12 acres.
The older part of the main house is understood to date from circa 1850, with a substantial later addition which is understood to date from around 1910. Externally, the property presents attractive mellow brick elevations, under a pitched tile roof. Internally, the house has a wonderful sense of light and space with a wealth of period features.
From the covered entrance porch, a wide oak door leads through into the reception hall, which runs the depth of the house with part glazed doors to one end leading out onto the loggia and garden beyond. A particular feature of the property is the magnificent drawing room, which is approached via an oak staircase with three archways to one side which are carved with the date 1910. The drawing room has an impressive open fireplace with an ornate marble surround and a Tudor rose fireback. Adjacent to the drawing room is the library/study, which again has an open fireplace, which is flanked on either side by extensive book shelving. Both the library/study and the well-proportioned dining room have wide bay windows with central picture windows which take full advantage of the wonderful southerly views over the gardens and grounds and countryside beyond. In addition to the three principal receptions rooms there is a cosy double aspect sitting room.
The well-appointed kitchen/breakfast room has an extensive range of cream fronted units with granite work surfaces, and incorporates a cream four oven Aga and a Lacanche range cooker. The well-arranged ground floor accommodation is ideally arranged formal and informal entertaining, and is complemented over the first and second floors by seven/eight bedrooms and three bathrooms, with the added flexibility of a secondary staircase giving access to the guest suite. Features of note within the house include high ceilings, beautiful polished oak floors, panelled doors, high skirting boards, a large central roof lantern above the first floor landing and some sash windows. From many of the principal rooms in the house there are glorious southerly views over the park like gardens and grounds and the countryside beyond.
EPC Ratings: Main House – F; The Coach House – E; The Groom’s Cottage – G; The Annexe - C
The Glen is approached via an electrically operated wooden five-bar entrance gate, from which the sweeping entrance drive leads through the property’s land bordered in part by banks of mature rhododendrons and a number of mature yews. The drive leads down to a wide gravel parking area with a central lawn. From the drive a short flight of steps lead down to a sheltered sandstone terrace, giving access to the front door. To the southern side of the house, and running the length of the older part of the house is a wide covered loggia with a part enclosed sitting area to one end. From the loggia, stone steps bordered by lavenders lead down to the formal gardens, which are laid principally to lawn bordered by magnificent mature banks of rhododendrons and azaleas. Beyond the main lawn, there is a lower croquet lawn. Bordering part of the formal gardens to the south of the house, is a delightful gravel path which is bordered by mature oak, yew and pine trees.
Attached to the annexe is a single garage, and adjacent to The Groom’s Cottage is a further garage. Beyond The Groom’s Cottage is a small concrete yard, adjacent to which is a brick and tile period stable with two loose boxes. The gardens and grounds are surrounded by the property’s land, which is divided into three principal paddocks, together with a holding paddock. To the south eastern corner of the land there is an area of woodland, within which lies an old quarry. The gardens and grounds surround the house and provide a spectacular setting for this impressive period country house. About 12 acres.
The Coach House
Forming the first floor of the detached period brick and tile building to the north house, within which the annexe is located, The Coach House provides well-arranged and light two bedroom accommodation which is currently let, providing a useful additional income. Alternatively, The Coach House could be used to accommodate extended family.
The Groom’s Cottage
The Groom’s Cottage is a single storey cottage which provides further additional accommodation. It is thought that The Groom’s Cottage could provide an ideal home office. A particular feature of the cottage is the large open plan sitting room/kitchen, from which glazed doors give access to a sheltered courtyard.
Approximate Square Meters :
Lot Acres: 12