An historic Elizabethan hall, sympathetically renovated and beautifully refurbished in an enchanting rural location.
Morley Old Hall is well documented in a number of reference books including Pam Boys’ “Beautiful Homes of Britain”, Pevsner’s “Buildings of England” and Burke’s “Guide to Country Houses”.
The house dates from the late 16th Century and was built by the Sedley Family who acquired the manor in 1545 and owned it until around 1790. The Hall is enclosed by an Anglo Saxon moat which was probably dug 700 years ago to make the walls for an earlier dwelling. Ownership since 1790 has included Field Marshall The First Lord Ironside, who was Chief of the Imperial General Staff in May 1940 and Commander-in-Chief of Home Forces during the Second World War. Other owners include Mrs Janet Shand Kydd, first wife of Peter Shand Kydd and stepfather of Diana, Princess of Wales.
Morley Old Hall is a splendid Grade 1 Listed late 16th Century manor house set in a spectacular secluded position on a garden island of just over ½ acre surrounded by a moat and located at the end of a long tree-lined driveway.
The current owners purchased the property in 2010 as part of their property portfolio of prestigious and luxurious country retreats and carried out a series of improvement and refurbishment works to the property. Works included re-landscaping the gardens, a new central heating system, substantial rewiring, upgrading plumbing and sanitary ware and the creation of 2 additional ground floor bedrooms with en suite bathrooms. The wonderful period features have been preserved and enhanced throughout which include magnificent fireplaces, exposed beams and timberwork, mullion leaded windows, wide board timber flooring in the drawing room, flagstone flooring in the kitchen and the original wide oak single piece staircase. The period features combined with modern living requirements create a beautiful atmosphere for family life.
The house is constructed of red sand-faced bricks in an English Bond under a tiled roof. Designed in a traditional Elizabethan E-plan and arranged over three storeys the main facades face east and west and large stone mullioned windows ensure beautiful light rooms in the mornings and evenings and spectacular countryside views from all the main rooms, particularly on the first and second floors, across the moat, garden and grounds beyond.
To the east of Morley Old Hall and adjoining a traditional barn are three separate cottages. Of brick and timber construction under a tiled roof, the cottages have planning permission for holiday accommodation and are all arranged over single storeys with spacious accommodation ideally suited for letting, additional family guest or staff accommodation. To the south are private gardens with a mixed orchard and mature trees.
The cottages comprise:
West Cottage Sitting room with open fireplace, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, bathroom
Middle Cottage Sitting room with open fireplace, bedroom, bathroom
East Cottage Sitting room/bedroom, kitchen, bathroom
To the south of the driveway and adjoining the cottages is a traditional barn (84’ x 24’) incorporating timber cladding under a pantile roof with a concrete floor and extensive stabling and tack room. On the north side of the drive is another barn of similar construction providing stabling.
Adjacent to the cottages is a 9-bay concrete portal-framed agricultural building (135’ x 27’) with concrete block walls under a corrugated roof (electricity and water laid on) and a manége surrounded by a wall.
Gardens and Grounds
The formal gardens surround the house set inside the moat. To the west and approached across a gravel terrace, lawns run down to the moat and incorporate colourful rose and herbaceous borders protected by trimmed yew hedges. The house, gardens and moat are surrounded and protected by numerous mature broadleaf trees and beyond are open fields and unspoilt countryside. Surrounding the house, gardens and outbuildings are open fields, incorporating a pond protected by trees and Morley Wood to the south.
Property Features Include: Historic Home
Lot Acres: 32