An historic Listed house with impressive family living space, excellent ancillary accommodation and far-reaching views.
4 Reception Rooms
7 Bathrooms (all en-suite)
In all 6,555 Sq Ft
Barn Conference Centre (3,445 SqFt)
Detached 3 bedroom bungalow
Beautiful gardens and grounds
Historical Note (information supplied in part by the vendors) Originally known as Alveston Manor, the main house dates from the late 16th century and is Listed Grade II. It was owned by the Veel family from 1580 until 1703 and it is their coat of arms that can be seen over the front door. Many of the fireplaces, as well as the ornate plaster ceilings, date from the Tudor period, evidenced by Tudor rose motifs. The Veels were Royalists in the Civil War and it is said that Thomas Veel, later Lord Alveston, fought for the King. By the end of the 18th century the house had become a farmhouse. The original parish church of St Helen stood next to the house but this was abandoned in the late 19th century when a new church was built in the village and now only the tower remains. In 1960 Bristol Siddeley Engines (now Rolls-Royce plc) bought the property and it has remained in their ownership ever since. Rolls-Royce plc have used Old Church Farm as a private hotel and conference centre and what is particularly striking is the sensitive way the property has been adapted to these uses – the main house itself feels very much like a private house, albeit a very well-equipped one! Old Church Farm Old Church Farm is a charming period house which is both impressive and yet manageable. For a house of its period the rooms are particularly well-proportioned, with high ceilings and large windows to take advantage of the views. The drawing room is an especially fine room, with a beautiful plaster ceiling and a large open fireplace. The study has an even more splendid plaster ceiling while the neighbouring dining room has space for a large table and is ideal for entertaining. The kitchen is of catering standard as you would expect but this could easily be relocated to the sitting room which overlooks the gardens and the view. The seven bedrooms are all on the first floor and are all en suite. The master bedroom is a very generous size and has excellent views.
There is a large gravelled parking area to the front of the house. The surrounding gardens have been very well-maintained and provide a delightful setting for the property. Wide flat lawns stretch away to the south and west and there is a well-stocked rose garden with box-edged borders to either side. Beyond this is a pond and fountain. There is a large productive vegetable garden, with espaliered fruit trees and soft fruit cages, a greenhouse and stone store shed. Wrapping around the garden is a large grass paddock, suitable for horses.
The Barn Conference Centre
Situated close to the main entrance, this traditional period barn was converted in 2005 to form entertaining and conference space. As currently arranged there are three large meeting/conference rooms, a skittle alley/party room, an office and prep room.
Discreetly situated beyond the Barn is a detached bungalow. Ideal for staff, it comprises two reception rooms, a kitchen, three bedrooms and a bathroom. It sits within its own private garden.
Approximate Square Feet:
Lot Acres: 7.8