Beautiful Victorian, family house with well-established equestrian facilities, which occupies a wonderful, peaceful countryside setting
Pogbie House is an exceptional, Victorian family house which occupies a magnificent, rural setting. It dates from circa 1850, was built for the Maitland family and subsequently owned by one T J Carlyle Gifford, who was responsible for extensions to the house in circa 1925. The house enjoys a wonderful view from the front elevation overlooking the grounds and rolling East Lothian countryside and is situated beautifully, surrounded by its 14.94 acres, which afford privacy and exclusivity. The house has extensive accommodation extending to circa 5,807 square feet, which is arranged over ground and first floors. It has an excellent balance of reception rooms and bedrooms and there have been many improvements over the last couple of years including the installation of a new kitchen, shower rooms and bathrooms. The house is C-Listed.
On the ground floor, the house is approached through a porch, which leads into the reception hall. This has an impressive staircase leading to the first floor, and gives access to the sitting room and family room, both of which have bay windows overlooking the front garden, with wonderful views, cornicing and open fireplaces. Also off the reception hall is a large cloakroom. The principal reception room is a magnificent drawing room, which formed part of the extension in 1925 and is thought to have been built as a billiard room. It has a high ceiling, windows on two aspects with wonderful views and a decorative cornice. There is a fireplace with timber mantelpiece with fluted columns and a marble hearth and surround.
Off the drawing room is a study, which has a door to the back of the house. The formal dining room is an L-shaped room and it is conveniently placed for the kitchen. This has been recently refurbished and incorporates an exceptional range of wall and floor units, which incorporate a four-oven Aga (green and oil-fired), a Russell Hobbs microwave oven and a sink. There is a large island unit with a breakfast bar and ample space for a family dining table. Off the kitchen, there is a pantry which has a stainless steel sink and space and plumbing for both a dishwasher and large fridge freezer. The back hall gives access to a boot room/utility room, which has two Belfast sinks, fitted cupboards, space and plumbing for a washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge and freezer. It also houses a CV oil-fired central heating boiler. There is a separate WC off the back hall.
Accessed off the first floor landing is the master bedroom. This enjoys lovely views and has an exceptional en-suite bathroom with a large, separate shower cubicle, free-standing bath and a seamless basin in a vanity unit. Also off the master bedroom is a dressing room/nursery. There are two further double bedrooms accessed off the main landing, which are served by a family bathroom with a free-standing, roll-top bath, WC and basin. Also off the main landing is a large airing cupboard, which has a hatch with a Ramsay ladder leading to the loft space and a separate large cupboard. From the half-landing, there is a separate bedroom corridor, which has a double bedroom with an en-suite shower room, and a further bedroom suite with a large double bedroom and a separate bathroom.
At the back of the house are a series of outbuildings, which includes a small garage, covered tank area, kennel with run and a further storage shed.
Pogbie House is approached by a gravel driveway, which is lined with lime trees. This leads up to a parking and turning area to the front of the house and in-turn to the back of the house and the equestrian set up. The formal garden to the front of the house has a pond as its focal point, which has stepping stones bisecting it, lilies and other water-loving shrubs around its periphery. At the side of the house, there is a sunken garden with a waterfall and pond surrounded by shrubs and shaded by a yew tree. To the east of the house is a partially walled garden, which is principally laid to lawn. It has a large ash tree, a number of flower beds, a decked area adjacent to the house and a fenced-off vegetable garden with a summerhouse overlooking. Behind a beech and privet hedge, there is an orchard with a number of fruit trees.
Pogbie House is well established as an equestrian facility. Accessed off the main drive and beyond the formal walled garden, is a former tennis court (thought to be Scotland’s first hard tennis court, dating from 1924), which is converted into an all-weather arena with a sand and silica surface. This is floodlit and has direct access onto the main drive. Beyond this is a paddock, which has a stable with two loose boxes.
Situated to the west of the house is a Groom’s Cottage. This has a kitchen, shower room and utility on the ground floor with a living room, two bedrooms (one with en-suite WC), on the first floor.
Adjacent to the Groom’s Cottage is the stable yard. This has eight loose boxes, a hay store, a shower room/solarium with a feed room, tack room and WC beyond. All the loose boxes have a rubber-lined wall, water and double bolted doors. The stable yard has direct access out into a series of paddocks, which have been separated by electric fencing.
A small area (circa 3m x 3m) of the 15 acres will be retained by the current owners. The exact location of this is yet to be defined but it is likely to be in the north east corner of the grazing land.
Approximate Square Feet:
Architectural Style: Victorian
Lot Acres: 15