Oaklands is a Grade II listed Georgian country house believed to date from about 1820.
The property is constructed of brick elevations under a slate roof with accommodation arranged over three floors.
The house is approached through impressive wrought iron gates along a gravel drive with a parking area to the front of the house and a spur leading to the garages.
The house is characterised by its handsome symmetry and attractive multi-paned sash windows.
The reception hall gives access to the principal formal reception rooms being the drawing room and dining room. Both are of elegant proportions with high ceilings and enjoy views over the formal gardens. An inner hall gives access to the cellar, utility, cloakroom and kitchen/ breakfast room.
The kitchen/breakfast room has been fitted toan extremely high standard with an extensive range of floor and wall mounted units with granite work tops incorporating a two oven gas fired Aga, 4 ring induction hob and De Dietrich oven. The kitchen is sufficient size to incorporate a large family breakfast table. Adjoining is a more informal sitting room which is triple aspect and has exposed beams and pitched ceiling. There is a natural brick fireplace with fitted log burning stove and extensive range of bookshelves. Completing the ground floor is a conservatory with underfloor heating ideally positioned to enjoy the views over the formal gardens.
The bedroom accommodation is arranged over the first and second floors and comprises5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. There is an extremely generous master bedroom suite on the second floor with a well-proportioned principal bedroom with triple aspect enabling views over the surrounding countryside.
This includes a fully fitted dressing room with a large and spacious en-suite bathroom. Completing this floor is a guest suite with ensuite shower room. On the first floor there are three further bedrooms and a family bathroom with bath and separate shower.
Positioned to the north of Oaklands is a delightful Grade II listed cottage dating back from 1757 being constructed of brick elevations under a tile roof. There is a sitting room, kitchen and shower room on the ground floor with two bedrooms on the first floor. There is also a cellar which is ideally suited for wine storage.
The barn has been beautifully designed by Anthony Hicks and constructed of oak under a tile roof with a double car port and enclosed garage on the ground floor with under floor heating. An external staircase to the rear provides access to the games/entertainment room on the first floor. This includes a large room (approximately 23’ x 18’) with wonderful exposed oak beams and incorporates a kitchen and shower room, both being of the highest quality. The kitchen incorporates a range of Gaggenau appliances. This area could be adapted for numerous uses including secondary accommodation if required.
Positioned to the side of the barn is a workshop constructed of brick under a tile roof with a further implement store below. The barn gross internal area is approximately 1215 square feet. Positioned to the north of the house off the main drive is The Clock House, this is constructed of part brick, stone and weather boarded elevations under a tile roof. There is garaging/storage on the ground floor with an external staircase leading to a games/store room on the first floor with a separate WC.
The formal gardens and grounds have been beautifully arranged to create a delightful setting. To the east of the house is a parkland garden with a variety of ornamental and specimen trees. There is a vegetable garden and fruit cage together with garden stores and two greenhouses.
There are a number of walled gardens to the south of the house. The delightful south facing
terrace borders the drawing room where there is a York stone terrace, manicured box hedging, rose and herbaceous border. A flight of steps leads to the croquet lawn and parterre garden, a variety of trees and extensive mellow brick walling with access to the post and rail fenced paddock.
A further walled garden leads from the conservatory with brick terracing and seated areas. There are further lawns and herbaceous borders which lead to a covered seating area with brick pillars.
Set within an old ragstone wall there is an arch brick lined former hop roasting oven which is ideal for entertaining.
To the rear of the garden is a barbecue/storage facility constructed of brick under a slate roof. Adjoining this area of garden is a further walled terrace with copper beech hedging. This area has a lovely water feature with three fountains, waterfall and circular seating area. This was formally an outdoor heated swimming pool and could be reinstated if required as the pipework and plants remain in place.
The terrace is finished in Indian stone and creates a wonderful entertaining area. The gardens continue to the north of Oaklands falling away toward the river and incorporate a delightful water feature with a flowing stream leading towards a small ornamental lake with fountain. Adjoining the formal gardens is an area of approximately 9 acres of parkland which would be ideally suited for those with equestrian interests.
To the west of parkland is an area of mixed native woodland extending to approximately 17 acres incorporating a Kentish Cobnut Platt.
The northern boundary to Oaklands follows the River Medway for approximately 1/3 of a mile. There are mooring facilities and full riparian rights.
The gardens and grounds extend to approximately 31.4 acres.
Property Features Include: Historic Home
Approximate Square Feet:
Lot Acres: 12