A most notable Georgian house standing in beautiful gardens and grounds with magnificent views of Cadair Idris, in the heart of the Snowdonia National Park.
A delightful Grade II listed country house with commanding glorious unspoilt views, Caerynwch combines elegant accommodation with fine period detail. It stands in beautiful mature gardens and grounds with an attached cottage and a traditional cobbled stable yard with a flat above.
The house has a classical Georgian façade of rough dressed stone, deep eaves, sash windows and a central portico. The front door opens to the entrance hall which in turn opens to the impressive reception hall with its cantilevered staircase and seating area with wood burning stove known as the ante-room. The three main reception rooms are south west facing with views over the valley to the hills beyond, framed through bays and sash windows. All have high moulded ceilings and mahogany doors with fine architraves.
The formal drawing room, formerly the ball room, is particularly striking with a polished oak sprung
floor, marble fireplace and a decoratively plastered ceiling. Beyond the formal rooms is the Edwardian billiard room with a parquet floor and fireplace. The traditionally fitted kitchen has an Aga range with an adjoining larder and is conveniently located to both the dining room and utility areas behind.
The staircase leads to a wide galleried landing off which lead three bedrooms and a bathroom. Steps lead up to a further landing off which is the attractive master bedroom suite along with four further bedrooms, all of which enjoy the stunning views.
The house has extensive basement rooms which were in years gone by utilised as staff accommodation, including the kitchen, butlers and house-keepers rooms and servants dance hall. These are now used for workshop and storage space but could easily be adapted for a variety of uses.
The name Caerynwch translates as Ynwch’s Camp suggesting that it is built on an ancient settlement of a Welsh Chieftain. Caerynwch estate has been in the same family since about 1650 and the present house was built by Baron Richards in 1780. It was designed by the architect Joseph Bromfield who also designed Rhug, Glansevern and St Chad’s in Shrewsbury, among others, replacing the earlier 15th Century house which had been outgrown by his family of ten children. The house has been passed down through the generations of a family who have had a notable history in both politics and the legal profession while serving the county with five generations acting as High Sheriff of Meirionydd and more recently Gwynedd in 2006.
Caerynwch is a much loved family house which has evolved over the Centuries. It was greatly
extended in the Victorian era, but reduced in size after the war to create a manageable living space. A wing was removed and replaced with a single storey attached cottage. While mostly lived in as the family’s principal home, for a short period in 1950’s it became a hotel, while family members lived away.
The gardens are of considerable interest having been established during the 1800’s and greatly
enhanced by Mary Richards during the 1900’s, a renowned botanist who introduced a number of specimen trees and shrubs along with a collection of rhododendrons she brought back from China.
Attached to the rear of the house is an attractive single storey attached cottage offering well laid out two bedroom accommodation with a fitted kitchen and spacious sitting room with an open fireplace. The Cottage has been a popular holiday let for several years.
Coach House flat
The Coach House Flat is accessed from the courtyard with stairs leading up to a central hallway. There is a spacious sitting room with open fireplace and lovely views. There is a fitted kitchen/breakfast room and three bedrooms are served by a family bathroom, shower room and separate w.c.
Stables, outbuildings and courtyard
The traditional cobbled courtyard has garaging for up to six cars to one side, and an attractive two storey stable block with loose boxes, traditional stalls, former tack and feed rooms and a flat above.
The house is approached up a long tree lined
driveway with views down to the Clywedog River through banks of stunning rhododendron and mature trees and shrubs. In the spring the banks are covered with blue bells and wild garlic along with a variety of other wild flowers. The drive enters a wide sweep to the front of the house surrounded by beautiful mature gardens, planted for all year colour and interest. Along with terraced lawns and stocked borders, there are magical walkways which are alight with colour, leading round the gardens and down to the lower informal river side garden and blue bell woods. In all the gardens, grounds, woods and grassland extend to about 9.6 acres.
9 bedrooms | 3 bathrooms
Entrance and reception halls
Three formal reception rooms
Study and library | Billiard room
Extensive basement rooms
Attached 2 bedroom cottage
3 bedroom flat
Stables, outbuildings and garages
Mature gardens and grounds
Property Features Include: Historic Home
Lot Acres: 9.6