A magnificent restored Grade II Listed Manor House set in 16.95 acres with beautiful countryside views and formal gardens.
Six reception rooms
Off street parking
In all about 7,853 SqFt.
Wyld Court has been sympathetically and extensively restored over the last few years to its former glory with many contemporary additions; yet retains a wealth of period features including Tudor panelling, flagstone floors, mullioned windows, oak doors and exposed beams.
The accommodation on the ground floor comprises of an entrance porch leading into the Great Hall now used for formal dining; with flagstone flooring, a large stone fireplace and wood panelling; inner hall; the former Victorian ballroom, excellent for entertaining, with access to a paved terrace and the pool area, views over the countryside and a fireplace; panelled drawing room with stone fireplace, carved overmantle and wood burning stove; leading into a further panelled sitting room, again with a wood burning stove and impressive carved overmantle; a butler’s pantry with an original medieval window ; kitchen and prep kitchen, both with wooden fitted units, granite work surfaces and integrated appliances, a large Aga and a Rangemaster cooker; a bright summer sitting/dining garden room with doors out into the garden; study; cloakroom and a utility room with fitted units.
Upstairs is a galleried landing leading to the seven bedrooms, all with en-suite bath or shower rooms. The dual aspect master bedroom has great views over the surrounding countryside, a large dressing room and an ensuite bathroom with a walk in rain shower. The dual aspect Kings bedroom makes an ideal guest suite with an adjacent sitting room both with fireplaces, the former with impressive carved overmantle incorporating coats of arms and dated 1671. It is serviced by the large bathroom with slipper bath and can also be accessed by its own staircase leading to and from the ground floor. A further five double bedrooms all have ensuites, four with showers and one with a large bathroom.
Wyld Court is mainly an Elizabethan manor house, dated 1593. Prior to the dissolution of the Monasteries by King Henry VIII in 1553 the late medieval property of about 1150 belonged to Cerne Abbas and parts of the house date from this period; it still features an original medieval timber window.
It is known that following his defeat at the battle of Worcester in 1651, King Charles II fled to Dorset (at that time Hawkchurch was in Dorset) planning to travel by boat to France. It is said that he spent a night at Wyld Court and that the western wing was pulled down by the Roundheads in an attempt to find him. The bedroom he is reputed to have stayed in is still known as the King’s Bedroom.
There is a later stone Victorian extension, built around 1880, which may have involved a young Thomas Hardy, who was an apprentice architect in the area before his literary career.
The former detached Elizabethan kitchen and bakery for the manor has been renovated and could provide additional accommodation to the house. It comprises of a games or sitting room with an inglenook fireplace and original bread oven, exposed stone walls and beams, a further room with kitchen area, leading to another room incorporating a bath and shower room. French doors lead on to a terrace and the garden.
Wyld Court benefits from a large number of attractive outbuildings, a former dairy, forge, a coach and carriage house and several stables, all stone built. These could be reinstated for equestrian or agricultural use but have planning permissions in place for 6 holiday let cottages. There is a separate track for access to the outbuildings and a parking area. None of these buildings or areas overlook the main house. Further details regarding the planning permissions can be obtained from the vendor’s agent.
Wyld Court’s main entrance to is through impressive wrought iron gates along a private drive to a gravelled parking and turning area with a four bay open fronted parking and storage stone barn. To the rear of the house is a productive herb and vegetable garden, greenhouse, stone garden sheds and a pergola covered in vines.
The house is surrounded by its own land and has beautiful gardens, including an intriguing and beautiful ‘secret’ walled garden with an ancient Mulberry tree, varied and fascinating topiary in the shape of birds and part of a chess set; a discreetly positioned heated outdoor swimming pool and a large level area of lawn to the front of the house and to the side, making an ideal croquet lawn. On a further higher terraced area to the front is a huge area of lawn approached by stone steps leading to a fountain. There are various pedestrian gates which provide access to the fields. Leading from Wyld Court is an enchanting avenue of lime trees, (“Lime Walk”), leading to the village and its Grade I Listed Norman church with Tudor pub opposite, village hall, village shop and community tennis court.
Approximate Square Feet:
Lot Acres: 16.95